Monday 31 January 2022

Grandma Oh No

Two nights ago, I got my first “negative” reaction to breaking the news to a friend I work with. Of all the things I expected her to say, it definitely wasn’t her, “Oh no oooo!” And now she’s officially won the title, “Grandma Oh No” so I can never cease explaining this name to our curious grandchildren, and hopefully keep up my forever tease of her. Nana Aba, you know no logical defence will save you from this situation, right? I can’t stop laughing. Here’s to the beginning of immortalisation. 


So aside Grandma Oh No’s reaction, every reaction so far has been pleasant, supportive and/or excited. I understand some may not be genuine and others may come with the unpleasant realisation that I won’t be around to do the work they know me for when I’m off to deliver Ariosua (yhup, we still don’t know the baby’s sex yet). I also understand not every expectant mother has had the privilege I’ve had with positive reactions, including false negatives like Nana Aba’s. So I am definitely enjoying the reactions either way, and thankful for them too. 


But the reaction I enjoy the most is my own. I’ve come to realise that if you’ve waited for and worked for something you want badly, any wait is still “too long”. I still remember my own reaction when I finally had my first positive pregnancy test this life has ever offered me. Or when it was Mother’s Day this year and I could beam with secret pride that I too could be counted amongst women who bear a child. Or my triumphant “Happy Father’s Day” to Ariel later on without the guilt of stealing from the category of men who were being celebrated that day. Yes, any wait is “too long” no matter how short it is. 


Ariosua has been an answer to prayer, literally. And many who’ve heard the news from me may also have heard me say, “My family and I are really happy. We’ve been looking forward to this for so long and it’s such a joyous time for us”. And truly it is! I’m having a baaayyybeeee!! 


As I reflect on my reactions to this, especially the ones that plaster a smile on my face, Mary, mother of Jesus, also comes to mind. Surely her circumstance was different, but one thing the gospels keep noting about her, “And Mary pondered all these things in her heart” Now see me, pondering these, and truly thankful that I could be favoured in this way. It’s nice to share such brief moments with a figure known so well from the Scriptures. A pondering in my heart… 


Ariosua, I hope one day you and your siblings grow up to read this. And remember that, it’s truly lovely to have others celebrate with you but it is perhaps the most euphoric thing in the world is when you can genuinely and personally celebrate God for all that He is doing for you, no matter what it is.




7:22am 





Pregnancy Diaries || Friday, 6th August, 2021 || 22 weeks, 3 days

No comments:

Post a Comment