Tuesday 6 October 2015

Established, not discarded - burnt to ashes and purified gold

Have you ever planned your day with so much detail but in the end everything ended up differently than you had planned? Well I have, countless of times. I'm mostly reminded of this verse when such happens:


A man's heart plans his way: but the LORD directs his steps.
(Proverbs 16:9, King James 2000 Bible)


Looking up the verse, I found this version which really excites me:


The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.
(Proverbs 16:9, ESV)


I'm used to understanding it this way: Never mind, Ofosua, your plans don't matter. God's plans do so He'll mess yours up anyway. Just trust Him, He's God. However the latter translation shifts the conversation a bit to: Don't be frustrated, Ofosua, your plans do matter to God so that's why He's establishing your steps in a better way than you planned to. Just trust Him, He's God.


It's such a wonder and such a comfort knowing and reminding myself that God is in control of every situation and has my desires at heart. That He is the God of the universe Who is interested in my thoughts and perfecting the execution of my plans in a way that brings honour and glory to Him. He just doesn't discard them for His, He establishes them beyond my wildest dreams.


Now to Him Who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
(Ephesians 3:20-21, NIV)


So the next time I am tempted to think my plans just went up in flames before God, maybe I could reconsider it as my plans just passed through God's refining fire. It'll definitely appear on the other side established in pure gold and not burnt into ashes.


And you, what about you?

2 comments:

  1. Man plans, God laughs. Thanks for this piece Miss Daako.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely He does laugh, and I believe it's a huge a LOL most times...

      Thanks for the encouraging comment, Mr. Ammah :D I'm glad you liked it. We thank God for the opportunity

      Delete