Sunday 7 February 2016

Honour your word

Yesterday, I made a promise. A promise that didn't cost much in Ghana cedis. I was to fulfill it today and I wanted to do so this morning. But here's the hitch, it would mean I would only have one ₵20 note to get to work. That wasn't good because public transport drivers may not get change for a fare that's less than a tenth of that early in the morning. Also drivers could be rude if you gave them such a huge amount at that time of the day. But I decided to keep my promise, I thought it showed good example and the one I had promised was looking forward to it.
So I used up all my small change to keep my promise and set out for work. As expected,  the driver I first met grumbled a lot. Unexpectedly, however, he asked me to get down after a distance! The second driver grumbled too, but when I reached my stop, he gave me my ₵20 note. I thanked him and gave him the only two coins I had instead. Those coins are worth a tenth of the current fare (which is really really small in view of the recent fuel price increase and the not yet adjusted transport fares). I told him, 'May God make these a blessing to you,' and alighted.
And then I waited for the bus. After a bit, a black car stopped where I was. Not unusual, it's a bus stop and lots of cars had stopped there already. I heard my name. Recognised my fellow bus boarder in the front seat. Got pleasantly surprised. Did a quick calculation of where this lift could take us to. Sat in the car and realised my other colleague I hadn't seen in a while because she had been on leave! A free ride to work! In fact, three free rides to work...
And it got me thinking and writing...
How many times have we been required to honour our words? How many times have we made promises that we intended to keep, but never did? How many times did procrastination become justified by our convenience? How many times have we let our family down? Our bosses and subordinates down? Our friends down? God down?
How many times have we shunned honouring our word in even the little things assuming God could be mocked? Assuming we did not reap what we sowed (Galatians 6:7-9)?
- I'll wash the dishes
- I'll buy electricity units on my way from work
- Kofi, drink your medicine and I'll give you cake
- I'll submit the report today
- I'll explain the Maths assignment to you
- I'll call you back
And how many times have we actually done so and experienced that God delights in Christians who walk their talk? Ɔseadeɛyɔfoɔ no*? The promisefulfillers? Those who witness the faithfulness of God by being faithful themselves?
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to boast. It is to my own shame that I am reminded of the many times I said I will do stuff for others and God but eventually refused to do them. We are truly saved by grace. But now that we are saved, we should produce fruit worthy of our calling. For faith without deeds is dead (James 2:21-26).
Interestingly enough, God rewards our faithfulness to Him and to others in more ways than one. My free rides to work reminded me of this.
He is The Faithful Who delights in His faithful. Need we doubt this and be, do otherwise?
And after reading this, which of the two groups of times would we rather increase to God's glory? Which one would we rather proclaim to the World in our deeds? Which one would boldly shout without words, 'Christ in me!!!'
Which one?
Yes, I am asking you as much as I ask myself today...
... which one?
.
Galatians 6:7-9 (NIVUK)
7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.  8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.  9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
.
James 2:21-26 (NIVUK)
21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?  22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.  23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, ‘Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,’ and he was called God’s friend.  24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction?  26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
.
*Ɔseadeɛyɔfoɔ no: from the twi word, Ɔseadeɛyɔ, meaning one who does what s/he says s/he will do, a dependable person who fulfills his/her promises. Often an appellation for God. Ɔseadeɛyɔfoɔ no would then mean the people that do what they say they would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment