Thursday 14 July 2022

Priority

Tonight I got a call from the hospital; we have to return tomorrow to ensure any red flags from our labs earlier today are put in check. There wasn’t enough info from the labs to say there was a serious issue or a rather benign one. At some point in the conversation, the doctor said, “Oh, please come ooo”. That’s when I caught myself a little distracted by my planning. I was already thinking of what to tell my boss, how we’d meet this very important global deadline at work, how we can still work remotely with the hospital visit tomorrow. No… not at all, I wasn’t even considering not going to the hospital. “Oh no,” I replied, “we are very clear who the priority is, she’s priority, always. We’ll be there tomorrow.”


And that’s when it struck me. Naa Ameley will always be priority, family will always be priority, no matter what. 


Yes, there would be days Naa won’t get to play with me just because I’m home. There are days she gets shipped out of the room because she wants to “say some” during my work call 😂😂. And there are days she may wait an hour or 2 longer to suckle after I close from work because I had to leave the office later than usual. Yes, there may be many days like that. Honouring God in my work is important. And yes, there are days Ariel may have to wait with Naa outside our bedroom so I can complete an important call with an Enosua’s heArt client. Those days will come, but that doesn’t mean my family isn’t priority. Naa, if you or any of your siblings are reading this, know that the times you have to wait “your turn” doesn’t mean you aren’t priority. You are. Always. Just not a first pick as a constant, but when it’s really important, when it boils down to choosing one thing over my family, like my last job move was, you, my family, will always always be priority. 


It spooked me. The very thought. That one day I could walk away from a good career prospect or a great Enosua’s heArt break because my priorities are clear, our priorities are clear: Family first. 


Yes, it was spooky but “boy!!!” did that make me proud! An unwavering conviction, when push comes to shove, no one shoves my family out. 


Will I be irresponsible when choosing family over all (please don’t add God to the “all”… lol… that’s also very clear to me)? Hell no? I don’t plan to be and hope I meet people with grace who call that out if I ever do so blindly. I’ll do my very best to plan or mitigate, so I can honour God in honouring my family. And honour God in every other aspect of my life. I may pick work calls in the car at a hospital, if needed. Or wake up really early to fulfill a client’s order. And for sure, I would work late like I’m doing today to make up for “borrowed” time from my day job or other responsibilities. But will I put them first over you, Naa? Over our family? No… no, I won’t. God forbid that I do. 


I really ask for grace to keep us first, Naa. Speeches are easy, and announced convictions can be glamorous. So we thank God that grace abounds. 


That call has shaken me because of this thought that it generated, Naa. Thankfully the content of the call itself wasn’t scary. However, I’m thankful I’ve gotten those shock waves this evening. It’s a humbling reminder why I work, why I chase my dreams, why I love being a Mum, a Wife, a Daughter of God too. Typing this out has strengthened my resolve, and ooo am I grateful that I had this experience tonight. 


Tomorrow, we’d make it. Come hell or high water. And may we be given many opportunities to make it when it counts… for you, for family, for us…




6:38pm




1st Baby Diaries || Thursday, 14th July, 2022 || 7 calendar months, 19 days 


No comments:

Post a Comment