Wednesday 16 March 2022

Gye Nyame!

Shot on 8th January, 2019: I keep falling in love with this piece every time I see it and I remember my delight I felt whilst I drew it because of how it took shape with each stroke of my pens. 


When we pray... I not only love this piece because of my memory of my pleasure in bringing it to life or my excitement in how God and I got the blue and red - two of my favourite colours - to pop and balance so beautifully to me in the picture. Or even how some elements like the wall-hanging and Bible resonate with the sweet nostalgia of my childhood. Or the wine glass that reminds me of my affection towards communion as a Christian. Or the posture in prayer, legs crossed, palm in hand, peace but earnestness in telling our Father what is on our hearts. Or the compressed seat of the sofa and the resemblance of the entire sofa to one we had where we lived at the time. The nostalgia and hope this picture brings me of past, present and future milestones in my life and how God was, is and will always be there, be in control, be ready to listen to me, His child... to us, His children.


Not only these, I love this piece because it calls me each and every time to a life of surrender, of faith, of hope and of full dependence on God. A life not only continually rewarded with the awareness of answered prayer but even more so the joy of continual communion with the God of Heaven, the great God of all, our Saviour, our Father, our Friend. 


Gye Nyame! “Except God!” “But for God!” “By God alone!” An Akan statement that is popularly known by its Adinkra symbol in the wall hanging. Gye Nyame! A personal cry to my God that I am nothing without, I am everything with, and all I can ever do to His glory is in: Him. Gye Nyame!


When we pray...


#EnosuasHeArt #FirstSketches 


https://www.instagram.com/enosuasheart

Monday, 2nd November, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment